Taxes are vexing for every American, and it is easy for a person to get into trouble with IRS or the Nebraska Department of Revenue. There are numerous reasons why a state or federal agency may contact you, and should you receive notice; you need to act quickly to keep your tax problems from snowballing.

What Do I Do When I Receive a Tax Notice?

When you get a tax notice, your instinct may be to panic, but that’s not going to change a thing. Here’s what you need to do:

  • Carefully read the notice and make sure you understand why you received the notice. You can always call the IRS at or the Nebraska Department of Revenue and ask for an explanation of the notice.
  • Handle the simple problems immediately. If you need to make a simple correction or sign a form because you forgot, you can resolve that easily.
  • If you receive a delinquent notice, pay what you can or contact the appropriate agency
  • Get your tax-related documents together
  • Contact a tax lawyer

Are You Being Audited?

There’s nothing more nerve-wracking than finding out that the IRS or Nebraska Department of Revenue is going to audit you. An audit can last years, during which you will be asked to provide mounds of financial statements. You’ll face months of questions and probes into all areas of your finances until an agent closes your case.  You can take some of the pressure of an audit of your shoulders by hiring a tax attorney in Nebraska. They can help with your federal or state audit by helping you get your financial documents in order

Other Reasons the IRS May Contact You:

Delinquent taxes

Thousands of Americans fail to pay taxes every year for a variety of reasons, neglect or protest generally. Either way, there will come a time when the IRS demands payment including fines. Your tax debt can add up, and you may see no way out, but the good news is that IRS and NDOR will work with delinquent tax payers and will work out an agreement.

It is possible to get the fines and penalties for your back taxes reduced, but you need the help of a tax lawyer in Nebraska. They work with tax agents on a regular basis and understand how to negotiate a tax settlement that doesn’t leave you drowning in debt.

Contact information for tax offices in Omaha:

Nebraska Department of Revenue

1313 Farnam St. #10,

Omaha, NE 68102       

Internal Revenue Service

1616 Capitol Ave #155,

Omaha, NE 68102


Douglas County Assessor/Register of Deeds

1819 Farnam St #400,

Omaha, NE 68183


Tax collections

The IRS and the NDOR have many means to collect back taxes. They can:

  • Garnish your wages
  • Seize your bank account or savings account
  • Seize assets like your home or car
  • Property liens

Offset your federal or state income depending on who you owe

You can stop the above actions by paying your bill in full or making a payment arrangement. You also have the option to seek an “offer in compromise.”

Tax Evasion or Tax Fraud

An accusation of tax fraud or tax evasion is serious; you can end up spending significant time in a federal or state prison. If you are accused of tax fraud, you need to get legal assistance right away. You may have received the notice in error, or some of the facts are wrong. can connect you with a tax lawyer who knows how to resolve your tax problems and get the tax people off your back.

Our team of tax attorneys in Omaha can help you with the following notices from the IRS:

CP07- IRS is examining deductions claimed on taxes

CP501/ CP501 ACA- Balance due notice

CP71C-Serves as a reminder that you’ve had a balance due for several years

CP503- This notice gives you a week to pay your taxes in full

CP 523- Informs you violated a payment agreement

LT11- Levy against state taxes


Our legal team in Nebraska can also help you with the following state tax notices:

Charity status

Delinquent returns

DOR audit

Issues with gross income calculation

Payroll taxes

Filing Inaccuracies

Questions about business expenses and deductions

If you owe back taxes to the state, you can request a waiver for some of the penalties you owe. You can file for a penalty abatement by submitting a Form 21 Request for Abatement of Penalty. You must include an explanation of why you failed to pay your taxes and why they should forgive your penalties.

If you’re facing penalties, you do have the right to request a penalty abatement, which would eliminate some or all of the additional charges. You’ll need to complete Form 21, and provide the DOR with an explanation of why you failed to pay the taxes in question and why you think the penalties should be waived.

Let a Tax Lawyer in Nebraska Help

Whether you have a simple or complex tax problem, dealing with NDOR agent or the IRS can be frustrating and difficult. But if you get a tax notice, the worst thing you can do is ignore a notice or put off doing anything.

Dealing with the IRS is difficult and they have the power to make your life difficult. The IRS can garnish your wages, seize your bank accounts and place liens on your property. When you get a notice from the IRS, you need to act fast. The worst thing you can do is ignore the problem or think it would go away. Call one of the lawyers at USAttorneys and arrange a case evaluation.