IRS Announces the Option to File Your Taxes on Your Smart Phone
Tax time can be a confusing time for many. There are so many documents you have to file, not to mention gathering all your receipts to ensure you receive the maximum deductions you are allowed to claim. While this is one issue that many struggle with, one of the most important and difficult tasks that follows is choosing who you want to file your taxes, unless you are a tax attorney in New Orleans, LA who has good handle on understanding taxes and can file them yourself.
If you are like most taxpayers, you are going to want to try and get the most out of this tax season which means paying less to the IRS or receiving a refund into your bank account. So where do you go? Should you use the highly recognized H&R Block or another small private company who claims they can get you thousands of dollars back? While you may be contemplating on who you are going to entrust to file your 2016 tax returns, the IRS has provided you with another outlet to getting this done.
IRS Free File: How Do I Access it?
If you have a smart phone, which most people do in today’s day and age, then you now have the option to file your 2016 tax return on it. And if you have a tablet, that too can be used to file all the necessary tax documents through IRS Free File. There are two ways in which you can do this.
- Use the IRS app, IRS2Go. This app will link you to the Free File Software Lookup Tool.
- You can use the browser on your smart phone or tablet and head over to www.IRS.gov/freefile. Once you are on the site, you are going to want to select “Free File Software Lookup Tool” or “Start Free File Now.”
Because everyone’s situation is different, you are going to want to select the best software product that suites your needs. While one taxpayer can use the 1040 EZ form, others have a more complex situation such as business expenses that make require other forms to be filed.
What’s the Catch?
If you have a gross income of $64,00 or less, there will be one or more free software options for you to choose from. Keep in mind that there are 12 software providers that will set the requirements for their product. Don’t worry, though, because you will be guided as you try to determine which is going to be best for you to use. The Free File Software Tool will ask you a few questions that should help lead you in the right direction. Keep in mind that some taxpayers may be required to provide their 2015 adjusted gross income which is used to validate their identity so you may want to have that handy.
Now that you have options, making the decision as to who will process your tax return should be a little easier as you can do it yourself for free. New Orleans tax lawyers do advise that you have all the information you need if you do elect to file yourself on your smartphone or tablet.
- When Should I Call a Tax Lawyer in Denver, CO? - September 5, 2019
- Will a Corporate Split in Edinburg Texas Affect Taxation, After a Disagreement Regarding Client List Ownership and the Removal of Partners who Want to Start Another Entity? - May 13, 2019
- Do I Need a Business Law Attorney to Set up a Non-Profit Corporation in St. Augustine Florida Due to Special 501(c)(3) Tax Requirements? - May 13, 2019